Your Ad Here

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Math subjects in School

After seeing my children go through school from elementary to high school, I can't believe the math subjects they take up. I could not understand the formulas or equations that they are teaching. Basic algebra and geometry might be fine. 

In the more than 30 years I have been working or in business, I have never encountered anything more complicated than basic math and geometry. What I frequently encountered were conversions of weights, measures, volume and distances from non-metric to metric and vice-versa! Maybe what is being taught in math subjects now will be good only for those who will pursue engineering, computer science and other courses that need specialization in math. When I was in high school, I was quite good in geometry. I knew that angle measurements and computing for the areas of a triangle and other geometric figures will be encountered frequently in life. My interest in this subject did not get me through the mechanical engineering course I was aiming for. 

For one thing, teachers or instructors still lack a system of relating the subject for future use and how often it will be needed. Doing this will help children get interested and learn. It should be something like, "If you know how to swim, then you would be able to save yourself or even other people having trouble in deep waters". But for a person like me, is scared of deep waters, I know how to swim just enough to save myself.

1 comment:

  1. I personally hated math when I was in school. When learning math, it important to know its relevance in practical life. its the teacher's job to do that and kids will be able to relate to it more. unfortunately NONE of my teachers did that. yeah, math subjects are getting harder for kids these days.

    ReplyDelete